Brooklake Country Club’s recorded history dates back to the late 1800’s when Leslie Ward, MD, a founding member of Prudential Insurance Company, built his summer home on the more than 1000 acre estate of cascading hills and called it Brooklake Park. The estate included a golf course and a lovely lake created by a dam. The property also contained a saw mill which supplied the lumber to construct Dr. Ward’s elaborate estate property.
In 1921, the construction of a magnificently designed championship golf course began at the bequest of Howard Cole, the new property owner. It was open for play in 1924 and was soon regarded as one of the most prestigious golf courses in the metropolitan area.
Poor economic conditions as a result of the Depression and World War II forced the sale of the property in 1943. It was purchased by Hans Lorentzen, of Levelor Blind fame, with the intention of using the property primarily as a pasture. Lorentzen soon realized the estate’s appeal and decided to renovate it.
In 1958, the estate was sold to Salvatore Bontempo who then renamed it Braidburn Country Club. Many improvements were made over the next 10 years including a clubhouse expansion and the addition of six indoor and four outdoor tennis courts. The construction of both indoor and outdoor pools also took place.
In 1985, the property was sold to a group of investors and became known as Brooklake Country Club. Extensive improvements continued to be made, most notably being the dramatic changes to the golf course under the direction of renowned golf architect Geoffrey Cornish. Continued improvements included the addition of a 2,000 square foot health club and a member’s only fine dining facility known as the Waterfords Room. Renovations to the Terrace Grill, front lobby and main entrance way have contributed to the elegance that is Brooklake Country today. The ownership is committed to continued improvements to ensure that Brooklake Country Club remains one of the finest clubs in Northern New Jersey for years to come.