Well before famed golf course architect Donald Ross created one of his most famous masterpieces at Plainfield Country Club, like many older American clubs Plainfield originally did not feature golf. So prolific Scottish golf course architect Tom Bendelow was hired to build Plainfield's golf course, which opened in 1898 at 5,239 yards (then considered quite sufficient yardage for a golf course). In 1916, the Club purchased an additional 60 acres of rolling farmland on the southeastern edge of club property (now the Plainfield West Nine) and hired Ross to add yardage to the Bendelow layout. Ross had a better idea - build a new course instead, with him at the design helm.
The Plainfield West Nine is the last vestige of the Club's original course. This property was incorporated with the 18-hole Ross course when it was brought into play in 1921, giving Plainfield Country Club a 27-hole private golf complex. Eleven years later, early in the Depression, it was set apart to be operated as a semi-private facility. It has since continued as such, and is today open to public play all year round, with a par of 33. Enjoyed by golf enthusiasts of all ages who come to learn, practice and perfect their skills, the Plainfield West Nine is known for its challenging greens and holes with uneven lies, including three par-3 holes.