Spring Brook Country Club was founded on June 1, 1921 by a group of Morristown business and professional men. It was constructed on approximately 180 acres of land leased from Robert Dumont Foote. The land was part of Spring Brook Farm, his 750 acre estate which included the Armstrong Brick Company. President of the National Iron Bank, Foote's foresight and generosity helped Spring Brook flourish through its early years.
In 2008, Spring Brook Country Club was added to the list of Walter J. Travis designed courses by The Travis Society (the recognized authority on Walter Travis). This recognition came 87 years after the fact, confirming the relationship between Travis (right) and Spring Brook that had long been speculation. The only connection between the two was an article in the Club’s possession from The True Republican Banner (a local newspaper long out of circulation) which places Walter Travis on the R.D. Foote estate in May, 1921 surveying the grounds and “laying out a tentative course of 6,000 yards” for the newly formed Spring Brook Country Club.
Over the years Spring Brook has hosted numerous tournaments for the New Jersey State Golf Association, the Metropolitan Golf Association and the New Jersey Professional Golf Association, including: the 1949 State PGA Championship, the New Jersey State Open in 1955, 1958, 1965, 1973 and 2010; the New Jersey State Amateur in 1991 and in 2004, and the New Jersey Senior PGA Championship in 2001.