On March 18, 1896, a group of men, residents of Elizabeth, met, associated themselves, and formed what was then known as the Suburban Club of Elizabeth, New Jersey. The Club was actually born on March 23, 1896, when a Certificate of Incorporation of the Suburban Club of Elizabeth, New Jersey, was filed with the Union County Clerk.
In the beginning the Club did not own any real estate and it did not purchase any property until 1912. The original Club House, formally opened on April 18, 1896, and course, formally opened on July 11, 1896, were located at the intersection of what are now known as Colonial and Morris Avenues. The Club leased the land which was owned by the Love and Sayre families. The Club House was a converted resort called "Park Villa" (a road house), the property consisted of 16 acres at a rent of $400.00 per year with an option to buy at $16,000. It was arranged for a special stage to leave the Central Railroad in Elizabeth at 2:00 and 2:45 P.M. to take the members to the Club for 25 cents.
The year 1922, a golden year, saw the dedication of the new and present Club House and the full 18-hole golf course. The Club boasted of having its own station on the Morris County Traction Company lines. This trolley car line ran from Elizabeth to Morristown and the tracks were laid in the depression to the right of the seventh tee and behind the sixth green.
In 1966, the Board of Governors commenced a series of renovations to the interior of the Club House. The entire dining area, offices and lobby, the men's locker room and grill room, as well as the ladies locker room and lounge area, were renewed between the years 1966 and 1969. A steam room and massage room were installed and the entire public area of the Club House was refurbished.
The dawn of the millennium marks the undertaking of the most extensive renovation in the Club's history. Two million dollars in funds were approved by the general membership for on course renovations. Golf course architect, Ron Pritchard, was commissioned to create and implement the Master Plan. Every tee and bunker on the course was rebuilt, the fourteenth green was redesigned and built to USGA specifications, a complete new irrigation system and pumps were installed. Approximately 125 yards were added to the length of the course.